Associate Planner - Part-time to Full-time hourly position
North Star Planning & The Musson Group
North Star Planning and The Musson Group are small Maine based-planning firms located in North Yarmouth and Southwest Harbor, respectively. We work on projects large and small across Maine for public and private sector clients. To better serve current clients and support continued expansion of our project base, we are jointly seeking to hire an Associate Planner with excellent writing skills, the ability to work independently and in small teams.
This job description is written broadly to encourage those interested in either a part-time or full-time position to apply. North Star and The Musson Group are focused on adding the right person to the team and doing so in a way that meets that person’s current needs and future career goals.
About the Companies
North Star Planning was established in 2017 to help communities chart their own path toward creating and sustaining the places that make Maine a special place to live and work. We do this through corridor, district, and comprehensive planning, through ordinance development, rezoning and recodification projects, and through community and economic development. For more information, please visit our website at www.northstar-planning.com.
The Musson Group is a planning consultancy specializing in Land Use and Community Planning, Economic Development, Permitting and Project Management. We provide expert assistance to municipalities, individuals, developers and other consultants on a wide variety of projects. The Musson Group has developed in-depth experience and expertise across a diverse range of projects – such as waterfront and community master plans, residential and commercial development, zoning and ordinance writing, federal and state permitting, and grant writing. For more information, please visit http://www.themussongroup.com.
North Star Planning and The Musson Group are jointly seeking to fill the position of Associate Planner. We invite candidates with experience in local or regional planning, economic development, urban planning and design, or landscape architecture to apply. This position is envisioned as an entry to mid-level hourly position, though anyone with the requisite qualifications interested in working flexible hours from a home office or small office environment should consider applying. The job will be filled by someone who demonstrates a high level of commitment to client success and wants to work on projects large and small around the state in a small team, entrepreneurial environment.
The Associate Planner will support a wide variety of projects related to land use planning, research and data analysis, plan drafting and design, ordinance and technical writing, site evaluation, group facilitation, public participation and engagement, community and economic development.
The Associate Planner must have the ability to work independently and in small project teams. Excellent communication with clients and team members is essential.
· Master’s degree in community planning and development, city and regional planning, public policy, public administration, or another related field (or bachelor’s degree plus related work experience)
· 1-8 years relevant work experience
· Strong analytical skills with experience in a broad range of data sources
· Strong writing skills in a range of writing formats
· A desire to work in a high performance, professional, service-oriented environment
· The ability to attend occasional evening meetings
· Strong research and data synthesis skills
· The ability to manage work for multiple deadlines simultaneously and learn about technical subject matter "on the job"
· Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite
Other desirable (not required) qualifications include:
· AICP accreditation
· Experience with visualization tools such as SketchUp or similar applications
· Experience with developing reports and graphics using Adobe InDesign
· Experience with ArcGIS
No phone calls, please.
North Star Planning and The Musson Group are Equal Opportunity Employers